Wednesday, June 29, 2005
Omaha and Iowa... a recap

I promised detail on our recent trip so here we go...


Husband left for Omaha on Wednesday evening. He had a meeting to attend Wednesday night so he went a day earlier than I did. Sending him by himself almost ended up to be a huge mistake. We figured out when he was on the way to the airport that he didn't have a current credit card with him. We only use our credit cards for travel so we are not used to checking the expiration dates. I knew that checking into the hotel with nothing more than a debit card wasn't going to be a problem but I was concerned about him being able to pick up the rental car. I called Thrifty and their customer service staff was rude and completely unwilling to listen to our dilemma or try to help us come up with a solution. I finally broke down and called the credit card company and they were really helpful. They told us to have him call when he got to the rental car counter and they would authorize whatever amount was necessary to get him the car. Everything worked itself out in the end, but the process took so long that he ended up missing his Wednesday night meeting.

I had decided at the beginning that I would fly into Omaha on Thursday night so as to not have to miss any time from work. I didn't realize when I made my reservations that ASU was going to make it so deep in the college world series. By 10:00 am on Thursday morning I was so antsy to get to Omaha in time to watch my boys play ball that I skipped out on work, headed to the airport and jumped on a standby flight into Omaha. I made it there in time to go to the game (by myself - Husband had things to do) and watch the Sun Devils get beat. I was bummed that they lost, but happy to have made it in time to see them play.

Friday was pretty uneventful. We slept in and went to Husbands 12:45 appointment. When we got back to the hotel we took a nap, went to dinner with some old friends that live down I80 in Lincoln and returned to the hotel for some gambling and hanging out with friends. We set a wake-up call for 5:30 (Husband had a 6:00am appt.) and went to bed.

Saturday at 6:21 the cell phone rang and one of our friends inquired about our whereabouts. Seems we never got our wake-up call and had overslept. We ran out the door after throwing on some clothes and hurried on down the street. We returned to the hotel for yet another nap (are you seeing a recurrent theme here?) and then dressed to go to game one of the championship bracket for the CWS. It had rained all morning on Saturday so Husband and I both dressed for the game in t-shirts and jeans. Big mistake. BIG. HUGE. By the time we arrived at the game and snaked through the hour long general admission line the temperature had raised to a whopping 94 degrees and the humidity was unbelievable. I thought I was going to die. I told Husband that I either 1) was going to cut the legs off of my jeans, 2) was going to buy some overpriced shorts, or 3) was going back to the air-conditioned hotel. I ended up going with option number 2 and Husband and I both ended up with a pair of NCCA licensed athletic shorts at the discount price of $54.00! We had a great time at the game and then retired to the hotel where we set at 4:30am wake-up call for Sunday morning. One of our friends was sharing a room with us and his flight left at 7:00.

Sunday morning we woke at 5:25 to someone banging on our door. Seems that the wake-up call didn't come in again and our little buddy was about to miss his flight. He got out the door with lightening speed and Husband and I settled in for a bit more shut eye. We woke up about 10:00 and headed downstairs for a chat with the manager and some breakfast. The manager was a doll!! I heart him!!! He didn't charge us for Saturday night and upgraded Husband and I too a two room suite for our last night. It was beautiful and romantic. It had a whirlpool tub for two in the bedroom and a beautiful living room and wet bar area. We spent the afternoon relaxing in our cool new digs and drinking wine. We had a romantic dinner for two (crab legs and the best. steak. ever) and headed back to the room for some shut-eye before our early am flight on Monday.

All in all it was a great trip - quick and simple, with a little unexpected romance thrown in at the end.

Oh yeah - and I got to see a firefly... which I have never seen in my life and might just be the coolest bug ever! Like have said before - it takes very little to amuse me.


2 Comments:

Blogger Sheryl said...

Its funny you say that about the firefly. Just the other night one got into the house. I had never seen one up close before. Of course I had to turn off the lights off so I could see him blinking. He was driving the cats crazy!

Blogger PJ said...

What a trip. It's cool that you got comped one night. Good for you, but bad for those mornings that the wake up call never came.

Is a firefly the same as a lightening bug? I'm from Chicago so I don't get much bug action, but we do have lightening bugs.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG