Sunday, February 05, 2006
The Long Appointment...
I spent Friday morning at the RE's office and am now completely overwhelmed. The appointment started at 8:00 am in the embryologist’s office. He took a short medical history from Husband and explained the technical mumbo-jumbo that is IVF. He walked us through the entire process from retrieval to transfer. He explained three day and five day transfers and why he prefers five. He is very hands on and I like him... even if it is hard to understand him through his thick Spanish accent (I shall now refer to him as Dr. Accent). I always liked science as a kid and I am glad that he didn't dumb it down too much.

The next appointment was with one of the members of the IVF team. She was spunky and a smart-ass and Husband immediately took to her. She walked us through my treatment plan and did the injection training. Why, why, why do they force us to reconstitute our own drugs? BAH! I am not too afraid of the Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle needle, but that PIO needle HOLY SHIT! I am not looking forward to that. Husband is planning to do most of my shots for me, but I will be doing the mixing. It is hard to believe that I will start shooting up in one week.

Our final appointment was with the financial counselor. Helpful, she wasn't. She informed us that we have no insurance coverage (duh), that UHC was not helpful (double duh), and that I owed her $1003 for today's services. After she was done collecting the money she walked us through the rest of the cycle and how much it is going to cost. I wasn't too surprised but the number still makes me want to choke.

I have to have an annual pap this week and hopefully they will get the mock transfer scheduled soon. I may have to go to a different office for the mock transfer because Dr. Funny's schedule is filling up at the office I go to.

Husband had a SA done Friday by Dr. Accent and he called first thing this morning with the results. In his words, everything was perfect! He has no doubt that he can get my eggs to fertilize spontaneously and did not think that ICSI would be necessary. Looks like we are starting this cycle out on the right foot – I hope things continue to be “perfect”.

So that catches us up on the past week. I am sure that things are going to get more interesting as the days progress and I will be sure to keep you posted.


6 Comments:

Blogger Mellie said...

Oh P - it's sort of exciting, isn't it? It's good to know that you're starting with the best of all possible scenarios. Will you share with us what your protocol will be?

Blogger Thalia said...

The money side of it is incredibly painful, I'm sorry you've got to stump up for it all yourself.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you as you start this process. I am sure it is overwhelming but it sounds like you have a great chance for a successful outcome!

Blogger Larisa said...

I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed, but I'm ecstatic that you are moving along.

The money sucks...I'm preparing myslef for utter nausea when we start writing the checks and charging the cards...

Blogger Jamila said...

all exciting news! (except the choking/money part, which, it goes without saying, SUCKS.) Keep us posted, I've got things crossed for you!

Blogger Cass said...

Hey, did they give you the Q-caps for the Brav. and the Meno.? Because they make the mixing mighty easy. I got them from the pharmacy, but they weren't part of the clinic's standard training so I had to request a quick session on them. Just a thought. (and heat seems to be the secret to the PIO - heating it before injecting to thin it out, and heating the spot after injecting to help it disperse)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG