Monday, March 06, 2006
The explanation...
We don't know much yet, but here is what we do know:

- in 99.9 % of cases where they retrieve multiple eggs that appear mature at the time of retrival at least some of the eggs will reach final maturation within 24 hours.
- I seem to have eggs that fall in the .1%
- My eggs can not seem to get to the polar body stage:

Image taken from Visembryo - go give them some love!

- My clinic only sees this condition about once every 24 months
- The condition appears to be permanent
- The embryologist can not confirm that the condition is permanent unless we go through another IVF cycle
- I do not know if I can handle a 'diagnostic' IVF cycle
- If the condition is permanent chances are the only way I will be able to get pregnant if we use donor eggs
- We both agree that using donor eggs is not for us

We will have a meeting sometime in the next week or so with the RE and the embryologist and they will try to break it down for us a little bit more.

So here we are standing at a crossroads again. I don't know what our next move will be but I know that we will not be making any rash decisions. I did, however, go to test drive the new car that I want. Of course we can really only afford it if we take the DINK (dual-income-no-kids) option.


Blogger Larisa said...

Wow. I don't know what to say.

I don't know that I could handle a "diagnostic" 2nd IVF cycle either. Emotionally or financially.

Know that I am thinking of you and hoping that you and your husband can reach a decision that works for you.

Blogger Krista said...

I haven't commented before but I wanted to let you know that I read your blog and that I am truly sorry for this disappointment. Having been through IVF I know the toll it takes.

I am thinking of you and hope that whichever form it takes, there is light at the end of your tunnel.

Anonymous laura said...

I'm so sorry that this frustration seems neverending. A "diagnostic" cycle seems like it might be torture. But on the other hand, might it reveal a different outcome?

Anonymous Erin said...

Ouch. More tough decisions. Best wishes for you and your husband.

Try to take a little time off before making any decisions... I know my decisions changed daily after my 1st and 2nd failed IVFs, and I felt nauseous when I thought about calling to make a follow up appointment. It's hard to know what to think when faced with such extreme choices

Blogger Mellie said...

P -
Now, I'm not exactly sure why your clinic is giving you such pessimistic news compared to my clinic, when we both had many eggs that failed to fertilize the natural way. Did you bring up ICSI with your RE? And what about, instead of doing a purely "diagnostic" IVF cycle, where you're doing the exact same thing again, what about using ICSI on half of all eggs retrieved and leaving the other half to fertilize naturally. That way it's both diagnostic - but you're also setting yourself up for success. I know - it's much to think about and you should take all the time you need and decide on what's best for you. I just don't understand why, given the same first IVF outcome, my prognosis isn't as dire. Of course, my RE could very well be shielding me...

Anonymous thalia said...

This is really tough. And bizarre. Being in the 0.1% is really crap, I am sorry. How do they know that this is the problem and it's not a tough zona pellucida or something that might be helped with ICSI?

Blogger Donna said...

I've never done an IVF cycle so I have no words of wisdom for you, I just wanted you to know I'm sorry and I'm also wondering why if you do another cycle it would have to be purely diagnostic.

Blogger Mel said...

I am so sorry for your situation. Perhaps you can get your doctor to agree to diagnose half the eggs retrieved and keep the other half for potential fertilation. Is that an option?

Post a Comment

<< Home